Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Why a PC is not a Play Station

A few days ago, I bought a game: the Perry Rhodan Adventure (German only). I'm a subscriber of the weekly 64-page novels and yes, I've read all 2436 of them.

The game is nice and I can recommend it.

There is just one issue with it: It doesn't run on Linux. At least not without some pains. First of all, game distributors waste some of the money you pay for a game for a copy protection. I say "waste" because it takes only a few intimate moments with Google to find a patch for this. So the copy protection is a waste of money since it's so easily circumvented, it's a pain for the paying customers (like me who can't play the game) and it doesn't bother the crackers because they never see it.

So after installing the no-CD patch, I could start the game but it would crash. Fiddling with the options in Cedega didn't help, so in a last desperate attempt, I tried the "fail safe settings". Finally, I could enjoy a few hours of gaming.

Final result: After paying good money for the game, I wasted one hour trying to make it work and then three hours to play. That could have been four hours of pure fun.

That's why I usually only buy games for my PS2. I take the DVD and two minutes later, I can play. Two minutes, because the game has a 1 minute 40 second intro. No installation, no driver hell, no looking for the joystick, no bugs, no crashes, no instant messenger which pops up during the last boss fight and you haven't saved for an hour.

No comments: